Depending on the money resources you can draw upon, I would suggest
getting the built in tuner option for the KX3.  It really frees you up in
mobile and portable situations where you are merely stringing a wire up
into a nearby tree with another wire laying on the ground as counterpoise.

And, CW rocks!  Put the time into CW so you can get on the air and start
operating even if you are limping along.  Your CW speed will pick up when
you operate -- more so then using some practice method.  Always listen
to stations on CW when you are learning even if you can only pick out a
few letters.  Definitely listen guys who are faster than you even if you
can't pick out stuff.

CW contests are great in practicing to pick out call signs at higher speeds.

73, phil, k7peh