All,

Yes, the XP computers, and even Win98 and Win2k computers will still work just fine - just make sure they are isolated from an internet connection and you can continue to use all the applications that you are used to. For a dedicated shack computer using dedicated ham applications, there may be no need to connect to the internet, it can operate as a stand-alone computer.

In my case, I have my information and documents spread out over several computers as well as a RAID file server, so I cannot sever from the internet easily without also losing email and web access on the computers that need those applications - in other words, with my current setup, I cannot run a stand-alone computer to get the things I need accomplished. For that reason, I have upgraded to Win7 on all my computers.

For those who can run a stand-alone system isolated from internet hackers, you are free to run whatever OS you are happy with.

If you have all your files on a Windows XP computer and do not want to bear the expense of migrating to Win7 or Win8, I suggest you try Linux Mint with the Mate desktop (it is not a big jump from a Windows desktop). You can still dual boot into WinXP, just do not use email or a browser while in WinXP - in fact, it would be wise to disable your NIC card in the XP control panel.

73,
Don W3FPR