Variable speed drives on HVAC units are indeed prone to RFI generation.  Five
years ago I ordered a second TRANE HVAC for my home...identical model to the
first EXCEPT the VDS was 3/4HP on the first and 1HP on the second.  The first
TRANE unit was and is dead quiet...no VSD interference visible on a very
sensitive panadapter from 500KHz to 54MHz.  The second unit turned out to be a
prodigious RFI producer.  As the installer and TRANE were of no help
whatsoever, I contacted the company and engineer who designed the motors (who
also happened to be a ham), and here is what I learned:
1) the 3/4HP motor is known to be quiet.
2) the 1HP motor is problematic and RFI is difficult to control.
3) after installing some manufacturer provided filters and personally supplied
chokes and capacitors on the 1HP motor, the INSIDE HVAC unit is now quiet.
NOTE: Every wire that leaves the enclosure must be filtered.
4) HOWEVER, there was ANOTHER RFI generator in the system.  It turned out to be
the cooling fan motor on the OUTSIDE compressor/condenser unit.  This motor was
wired to run at a fixed speed and was chosen by TRANE as it is slightly more
efficient than the tradition induction motor.

So, yes, choose VSD's for your HVAC system with great caution.  I personally
like the variable air flow and increased efficiency, but they can come at a
substantial cost in RFI.  While turning the beam around the neighborhood I can
easily see multiple VSD dive noise signatures which are usually a burst of very
closely spaced carriers (a few hertz apart) spaced about 18KHz apart.
---
Chuck, AE4CW