From: Don Wilhelm [mailto:w3...@embarqmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 5:09 PM
To: Bill K9YEQ
Cc: d...@w3fpr.com; 'Arie Kleingeld PA3A'; 'Elecraft - K3'
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Noisy K3 receiver

Yes, AGC can do that.  At all settings the AGC will do its job, but if
the settings are agressive, when there is no strong signal, the receiver
goes to full gain and any noise becomes loud - the K3 will try to make
the noise as loud as the signal you were previously listening to.

I personally think the default AGC settings are too agressive, but that
is only my opinion - I like my K2 AGC (despite Wayne's preference for
the default settings).

73,
Don W3FPR

Bill K9YEQ wrote:
> Don & all,
>
> I was also besieged with noise.  I changed my settings which I acquired,
not
> sure because the memory is failing :-),  and tried your minimum
settings...
> my GOSH, a whole new world.  I will test further, but so far on a very
> "noisey" 75, the radio quited right down.  We forget about all the
internal
> settings.  I do not yet have the DsP upgrade but will once the 144m mod
> becomes available so there is only one entrance into the radio to
accomplish
> the upgrades.
>

> 73,
>
> Bill