I'll second that, Ian! I'm lucky to live in quite, rural QTH with no
computers around except my own...
So the K3's inherent white/pink or whatever colour noise is certainly
something that can be put up with, as in ANY other DSP rig. Wonder why this
topic suddenly pops up - and seems to be relevant to so many after 2
years... causing such a "noise floor" on the reflector! I listened to FT2Ks,
Orions, ... then purchased the K3. I must have had some good reasons.
73

Ian Maude wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have been following this thread with interest.  My experience is that my
> K3 seems noisy at home where my ambient RF noise floor can be anything up
> s9 at times with the amount of RF producing electrical junk all around me.
>  However, when I use it at a 'quiet' location such as our DXpedition to
> the
> Isle of Jura or our contest site, the RX is extremely quiet.  This leads
> me
> to believe that I am simply suffering from a RX with a *lot* of gain.  At
> home, I simply turn down the RF gain and it is amazing how quickly the
> noise
> lowers significantly!  There is only about 30dB of isolation between
> antenna
> 1 and antenna 2 off the tuner which does not help the noise floor and as
> such I have simply stopped putting an antenna in ant2 for HF, I only have
> my
> 6m log periodic in there.
> I think in a lot of ways we are chasing our tails here.
>
> 73 Ian
>
> --
> Ian J Maude, G0VGS
> SysOp GB7MBC & HB9DRV-9 DX Clusters
> Member RSGB, GQRP 9838, FISTS 14077 | K3 #455
> http://www.amateurradiotraining.org

-----
Richard - HB9ANM