To answer the question of whether the K3 is too noisy - does it have
internal noise that limits its performance, I performed a simple test by
turning off the agc and comparing the unclipped audio output level with
a 50 ohm resistor connected to ANT2 and my multiband vertical dipole on
ANT1; on 10 meters, the external noise was 17 dB greater on the vertical
dipole with a greater difference on the lower frequency bands.  I also
checked for the presence of external noise at  the mains/line frequency
by  inspecting the  audio output with a spectrum analyzer in AM mode and
didn't find any discernible harmonic series of the mains/line frequency
plus I didn't find anything for the blanker to blank.  The nearest above
ground power line is more than a quarter mile away.  While this was a
rather casually performed test, it seems safe to conclude that my K3 is
not noisy.  So much for that non-existent problem.

6 meters, on the other hand, is not limited by external noise; perhaps
that's why there's a 6 meter preamp option.

I haven't adjusted the agc settings; my K3  agc response seems very flat
which is what I prefer.

As for not using the RF gain, that seems a rather absurd statement
unless you don't care about maximizing the receive performance  of the
K3 under difficult conditions.  One recent example that I've commented
on previously is being able to blank a strong local's key clicks plus
other noises while receiving weak signals with 200 Hz of his operating
frequency.  The K3 has a flexible set of tools but it's not a magic; if
you don't want to make use of all  it's capabilities, that's your choice
but it's not a choice that I would make.

It does seem like we've beaten this topic to death.

73, Dunc, W5DC