Maarten (and all),

There are two separate noise sources to be considered here, and it is
important to separate them.  One is the internal receiver noise, and the
second is demodulated noise that comes into the receiver via the antenna
port.

For anyone who suspects that the K3 itself is noisy (because of internal
noise), I encourage those owners to do an MDS measurement.  If the
internal noise is excessive, the MDS will be greatly reduced - MDS is
the minimum signal level that can be detected above the receiver noise
floor.  The Elecraft XG1 or XG2 is an inexpensive signal generator that
will do the task - and the instructions for measuring MDS are in the
manual.  If your K3 is not 'up to par', then that problem can be fixed.

OTOH, if the noise is coming into the receiver on the antenna port,
there is not much that can be done to eliminate it - it is just like any
other "signal" coming in from the antenna.
The K3 does offer tools such as the attenuator and AGC adjustments that
can better handle than noise.  Unfortunately, there is not a "one size
fits all" solution because each source of noise is different in its
character and amplitude.

I cannot comment intelligently to those who are comparing the K3 audio
noise output with that of another receiver because I do not have access
to the receivers they are comparing.  I can only guess that the
difference may be due to differences in receiver gain, AGC action,
bandpass width, or the shaping of the audio spectrum.  Without doing
actual measurements, these variables cannot be quantified.

73,
Don W3FPR