I can't say that I was ever completely happy with the audio output of the K3.
My father was an audiophile and the K3 reminds me a bit of some of the
high-end audio stuff that he used to demonstrate to me. It had remarkable
detail and clarity but it also revealed things that perhaps were best hidden
and made it, to me, a bit tiring to listen to compared to my own budget
stereo system.

On the K3 CW and data signals sound remarkably pure and distortion free and
SSB sounds very clean and open. But on headphones particularly and on some
speakers other than the internal speaker I do find the K3 tiring to listen
to. This may be due to high frequency "artifacts" that some have mentioned,
but I have come to the conclusion that it has more to do with the excessive
low frequency roll-off in the K3 audio circuits particularly the headphone
circuit.

Today, I performed the RF gain calibration procedure, recalibrated the S
meter, then experimented with the AGC threshold and slope settings along the
lines suggested in this thread. I didn't find it made much difference to the
sound of the radio, or even the ability of signals to "pop out" of the noise
has been described.

I then made some A/B comparisons between the K3 and my FT-817ND, since that
was connected up and available. Listening on headphones, the FT-817ND was
definitely the most pleasant of the two radios to listen to, and signals
seemed to stand clear of the noise better. I then attempted to record this
to make some demo MP3 files via the line audio from both radios. The
difference, though still noticeable, was less marked than when listening on
headphones.

As my K3 is connected to its own dedicated sound card, I downloaded Spectran
and used this to experiment with the effect of filtering on the received
audio. You can play the K3 audio into one sound card and play back the
output (optionally filtered by Spectran) to the regular one and listen with
headphones plugged into the computer. This convinced me that the K3 is
certainly capable of producing very high quality audio. I didn't see any
sign of high frequency "artifacts" on the display. A low pass filter coming
in anywhere from 2.7KHz or higher didn't make much difference to the sound
at all. But changing the position of the high pass filter to allow more bass
through made a big subjective difference to the sound. More bass made the
audio less tiring and more pleasant to listen to.

I have done the KIO3 mod to improve the bass through the line output and the
mod on the main board for the speaker output. I still have the original DSP
board. Recently I plugged a pair of cheap computer speakers into the rear
speaker socket of the K3. Being computer speakers they were powered with a
high impedance input so there is less attenuation of low frequencies than
when using non-powered 8 ohm speakers. The audio quality was quite pleasant
considering the price of the speakers. The audio through headphones plugged
into the socket of one of the speakers was also much better than the audio
from the same headphones plugged directly into the K3.

I agree with others who have said that more information is needed than just
"my K3 is noisy". We need to know what they are listening with, what
impedance it is, what audio-related mods have been done.

I personally think that the excessive attenuation of low frequencies in the
K3's audio circuits particularly the headphone output is the major factor in
many of the complaints that the K3 sounds tiring. I am not convinced that an
add-in LPF will have any effect. What I am concerned about - especially in
view of the cost of exchanging the DSP board for those outside the US - is
whether the improvements in low frequency output are enough.

A lower-cost workaround might be to try some powered computer speakers and
use the headphone output on those. Most people will have computer speakers
already they can hook up as an experiment, so it would not be difficult to
try it.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com