I think what people experience (perceive) is not a noisy receiver.
If it were K3's MDS would have to be much worse than other radios :-)

It is a combination of the K3's sound character and AGC character.
-The "color" of noise defines its annoyance factor.
-The AGC setting define how much signals and noise are seperated (how
signals "jump" out of the noise or drown in it)

Fortunately both are throroughly adjustable in the K3.

Wouldn't it be a good idea if Elecraft would gather and mediate information
from users about sets they perceive as pleasant sounding radios.
I'm quite sure Elecraft could come up with a few setting templates that
mimic a certain FT/TS/TT radio if that's what users would like, but it takes
time to just sit down and compare A to B.
The K3 is highly configurable but many seem to get lost because they don't
know how to translate a specific "sound" in AGC/EQ settings, which is quite
a task with all variables available.

73'
Paul
PD0PSB

Correct me if I'm wrong Richard, but are you saying that "the noise",
whatever color it may be, is something we all have to put up with? And since
2 years have past, we have lost the right to say anything about it?