I used to use elinks for a lot of stuff but lately, so many websites
make heavy of javascript and AJAX.  Most of my experiences with such
sites is that elinks totally fails on them.  More often than not, I find
myself mostly using Firefox with Gnome to do my web browsing lately.  I
just find too many sites which don't work with elinks.  Also, as a blind
person, I use Orca's structural navigation keys to move around in the
page quickly.  This is not possible with text browsers.  When I say
structural navigation, I'm talking about shortcut keys to move the
cursor to desired landmarks on the page like heading entries, tables,
form fields, etc.

I do appreciate the comments about being able to use ssh to run elinks;
that's an excellent point.  Also, extracting text formatted pages is a
good point.  I just can't get over the javascript rich pages which won't
work with elinks because the javascript support in elinks is willfully
inadaquite for today's job.