I do know that this thread is now several weeks old, but I didn't
see this particular reply until now and just _had_ to comment on
it. :o)

* Miciah Dashiel Butler Masters on Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 07:12:25PM +0000:
> Oh, and one other pet peeve I forgot to mention: Unlike Chrome and
> Firefox, ELinks doesn't burn CPU (and thus generate heat and waste
> battery) when it's idle.

On the contrary: This is the one sore spot i have with Elinks*.
If it is idle with more than, say, two or three tabs open, then
it racks up CPU usage to extremes, and it doesn't take much for
Elinks to gobble up the entire CPU just for being idle.

With the current temperatures approaching 100°, I have to keep
Elinks closed and only fire it up when I actually have to browse
something, otherwise my machine overheats from the CPU load.

s//un

* The other being the perversely high memory footprint,
  which easily surpasses the weight of my typical Opera
  session. Last time I checked Elinks was at ~600M...