On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 03:12:25PM EDT, Miciah Dashiel Butler Masters wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 07:09:18PM +0000, Miciah Dashiel Butler Masters wrote:
> [...]
> >The general reasons I use ELinks, most of which others have touched
> >upon, are
> [...]
>
> Oh, and one other pet peeve I forgot to mention: Unlike Chrome and
> Firefox, ELinks doesn't burn CPU (and thus generate heat and waste
> battery) when it's idle.

Looks like I missed out on this one.

I fully agree with the above - having had to kill idle Firefox sessions
on a number of occasions because it was using some 30% CPU _and_ causing
X to do likewise, nicely giving the fan on my laptop a nice prolonged
workout in the process. System's temperature in such circumstances is
somewhere in the vicinity of 78°C.

While I'm at it, I thought I'd mention an additional reason why I use
ELinks:

For mutt users like myself, ELinks is great for displaying email
messages because (obviously) http links are directly accessible by just
tabbing to them and hitting enter.

Considerably more user-friendly than urlview/urlscan and in essence,
nicely emulates what you get in GUI style mail readers, but especially
on slower machines, it is considerably faster.

in $HOME/.muttrc:

  macro index   \cv |elinks\n'
  macro pager   \cv |elinks\n'

And whenever I see an http link in an email message in mutt's default
pager, I just hit CTRL-V and voilà, I'm in web browsing mode.

cj

--
Lads whose job is still to do
Shall whet their knives and think of you.