On Monday, February 28, 2022 12:53:21 PM EST Steffen Möller wrote:
> On 28.02.22 18:40, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Monday, February 28, 2022 8:28:36 AM EST andy pugh wrote:

> >> Personally I know nothing about EtherCAT. I have always been a
> >> little
> >> afraid of the licensing complexities mentioned here:
> >>
> >> https://etherlab.org/en/ethercat/
> >>
> >> Etherlab itself is GPLv2, but _using_ it seems to bring a different
> >> licensing restriction into play. And I don't know enough about
> >> licensing to know if that's a problem.
> >
> > I followed this link, and couldn't find an obvious link to the
> > licensing docs. Am I going blind? Or are they acting like a
> > submarine, ala the compuserve debacle from about 25 years back?
>
> It is in the "Notice" section below that copyright thingy:
> The license above concerns the source code only. Using the EtherCAT
> technology and brand is only permitted in compliance with the
> industrial property and similar rights ofBeckhoff Automation GmbH
> <http://beckhoff.com/>.
>
> Best,
> Steffen

Yes, I read that too, Steffen, but failed to find a statement describing
those rights. Thats precisely why I mentioned the GIF debacle. I'm a
genuine old fart, my history starts in late 1934, with a good memory
about such dishonest goings on. It took maybe 20 hours for gifs to
disappear from the net, totally and completely then, and maybe a week to
fine tune png and get the first version out the door. Where is compuserve
today? A footnote in history at best, but not remembered with loving
thoughts.  We invented the distastefull term "submarine patent" to
describe what happened.

I don't really want to be involved with an entity that references
additional rights, but doesn't make those readily available.

Maybe I didn't look hard enough but I did look with the idea of learning
what those additional rights might cost.

Take care and stay well, Steffen.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis