On Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:08:23 AM kqt4a...@gmail.com did opine:

> On Thu, 29 Dec 2011, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Thursday, December 29, 2011 09:05:54 AM kqt4a...@gmail.com did
opine:
> >> Just in case y'all run out of something to ponder
> >> I do not have one of those fancy meters Gene mentioned but I do have
> >> a Kill-A-Watt
> >>
> >> 118.7 volts ac
> >> 3 motors at rest - 1.15 amps
> >> 3 motors running - 1.6 amps
> >> 4 motors at rest - 1.43 amps
> >> 4 motors running - 1.85 amps
> >>
> >> This is killing my electric bill :)
> >>
> >> Richard
> >
> > Love it, Richard.  I have been meaning to get me one of those critters
> > myself.  Could you elaborate on the size of the motors and the PSU's
> > output voltage?
>
> 1 - Probotix 40VDC 10Amp Linear Power Supply, no manual

And linear is not as efficient, but far more tolerant of surges.
What did they want for it?  I'm currently running on a 28 volt switcher
good for 12.5 amps if actively cooled.  42 volt rated drivers, so I would
like to locate a higher voltage (36?)supply.  OTOH, I've only $30 from All
Electronics in this one, which also has 5 and 12 volt outputs at logic
circuit currents.  They are live full time but the main output is
switchable, medical grade stuffs they claim.

> 3 - http://www.probotix.com/index.php?view=product&path=14&product_id=51
> # 280 Oz In. Hybrid
> # 1.8 /200 Steps Per Rev.
> # 3 Amps Current Per Phase (Uni-polar)
> # 8-wire Uni-polar or Bi-polar
> # NEMA 23 Frame

262's, 4 wire for XYA, 425 on Z, 8 wire used as 4.

> 1 - Pacific Scientific Powermax II stepper model P21NRXA-LNF-NS-00
> http://www.electromate.com/db_support/downloads/Nema23PowermaxII.pdf
> 200 steps per rev
> 2.8 amps
> 8-wire

I think the 28 volts is making the MM-542's run warmer, so a 36 would be
better.  Running at 2.4 amps, could raise that 1 notch I think.

Cheers, Gene
Conquering Russia should be done steppe by steppe.