On Thursday, December 29, 2011 09:01:51 PM Jim Coleman did opine:

> Gene, was it you I read about building edm power supply from re-wound
> microwave oven transformers?  Or was it somebody else who was into the
> edm discussion a couple/few years back?

Nope, 'twasn't me.  It was probably Ed Nisley, who did a series on that
sort of stuff in Circuit Celler magazine.  Perhaps he can chime in and give
us pointers to the articles?  But I can't put EDM in the same paragraph
with that series of articles either.  IIRC he was making a spot welder at
the time, or something that worked on a similar principle.

Even if he didn't do EDM with his setup, I suspect Ed can expound on the
subject, and possibly in a more expert fashion.  I have only used it twice,
once to remove a pair of broken Hanson taps, and once to drill the holes in
a table saw blade to allow it to be mounted on my rotary table and
sharpened.  So I wouldn't go out on a limb and claim to be an expert. :)
>From what little I know, the supply and capacitor I used the last time was
really serious overkill.  Yes, it got the job done, but the whole
neighborhood for 2 or 3 blocks around knew that the old man was probably up
to no good.  ;-)

Cheers, Gene
Now I think I just reached the state of HYPERTENSION that comes JUST
BEFORE you see the TOTAL at the SAFEWAY CHECKOUT COUNTER!