On Thu, 2011-12-29 at 21:14 -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> pointers to the articles

That was a series on transformers & triac triggering, with a resistance
soldering setup as the McGuffin. CC doesn't put articles online (if you
know where to look, go for April/June/August 2008), but I put up some
notes a while ago; start at the first post and rummage through the next
few days:

http://softsolder.com/2010/09/07/resistance-soldering-gizmo-overview/

The transformer notes, complete with a B-H curve, may be most useful:

http://softsolder.com/2010/09/08/resistance-soldering-transformer/

The triac trigger circuitry was *insanely* complex, because I wanted to
show what happens during four-quadrant triggering with sub-cycle
control. In real life, you'd just fire a triac driver for the entire
heating pulse and be done with it.

A while back, Eks forced me to take his homebrew water-cooled pulser
built around a stack of hockey-puck transistors that he'd been using for
EDM. All I need is a bulk supply behind the thing, a bit of Z axis
control, and I could sink dies with the best of 'em... [sigh]

--
Ed
http://softsolder.com