On 1/7/2012 8:48 PM, gene heskett wrote:
> On Saturday, January 07, 2012 08:40:23 PM Kent A. Reed did opine:
>
>> On 1/5/2012 8:46 PM, gene heskett wrote:
>>> Where can I find some real docs on this isolcpu thingy?
>> Gene:
>>
>> Quoting from kernel.org:
>>
>>      isolcpus=       [KNL,SMP] Isolate CPUs from the general scheduler.
>>                      Format:
>> <blah blah blah>
>>
> I've read the first from kernel.org, and your wiki article (which I expect
> to do on the new box arriving late Monday, thanks), but both articles leave
> me scratching my head a wee bit.
>
> It seems to me that if one is going to take a cpu core out of the SMP
> scheduling effectively isolating it so its doing nothing, then one should
> have a matching command associated with the RTAI load that specifically
> puts the RTAI core to run on this 'saved' core, but I haven't found how
> this can be assured to happen.
>
> So that is my real&  not very well asked question, Kent.
>
> Hows the missus doing?  Better I hope.
>

> Cheers, Gene
Okay, now I understand, Gene.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to plead the old-timer defense. I can't
remember where I read that RTAI (at least the way we configure it)
chooses the last core with the attendant desirability of isolating it
from the Linux scheduler. Maybe a core developer will straighten us out.

I am mindful of one of my dad's favorite sayings "it's not what you
don't know that gets you in trouble, it's what you know that ain't so."

And my wife is doing better than expected, thanks. Now if only we could
find a way to eradicate the cause rather than treat the symptoms.

Regards,
Kent