Clearly OT!
Indeed electronics have   come a long ways since then.
I still have my Dad's 200 w-sec strobe. Oil filled caps from Edmund Salvage dumped to the flash tube with a thrytron. Later vintage an electronic ignition, nice toroid 6 v to 400 v converter and a decent SCR for my   PV544 (pregnant roller skate). Got me a gain of about 1.5 mi/gal averaged over a year. .... and a constant current supply ... that drove a 1:2 step up transformer to light 5 to 32 orchard heaters ( eg. 1 row ) a single person could light up a whole orchard in a few minutes, either propane or fuel oil. I think that project only lasted a few years. pulsed 220 drifting avout an orchard was just too dangerous. Finally came the switch to sprinklers and orchard fans. .... and then grey smog  in the morning went away. No the old days were not necessarily the good old days.

Dave