A friend of mine has run hydraulics that way.

What you say makes a lot of sense for the model trains too.  My little PWM DC
speed controller was set above 20kHz to prevent audible noise.  But that's a
lot different from 60Hz that would, as you say, introduce vibration to overcome
static friction but not have the motor over speed with kinetic friction.
John