Really nothing to do with LCNC or even automation.

I've been cleaning out old shelves and I have piles of Popular Electronics
Magazines.  This one from December 1965 (yes, almost 57 years old) has an
article on how to improve model trains so they start slowly or crawl rather
than lurching forward requiring backing off the speed control.

They call it pulse power.  Using only transistors and diodes the article
describes a method of creating narrow pulses superimposed on a varying DC
voltage.  One knob controls the width of the 12V pulses and the other the
amplitude of the DC mixed with the pulses.  The pulses are 60Hz.

Now we just buy stuff like that for way less than what the transistors would
cost.  Things have come a long way.

Just thought I'd share.
John