In robotics, DC motors are always the hardest to control at the slowest
speeds.    The root of the problem applies to model trains too.  The
coefficient of friction is different for static friction than for
moving friction.    So the sleeve bearing in a motor takes a certain torque
to break free, then after it is moving requires less torque to continue
moving.   Because of the difference in frictions it always takes more
current to start a motor than to keep it moving.

I think the point of the pluses is to vibrate the motor and get it moving,
and then the DC superimposed on the pulses is what keeps it moving.

A better way is to use an aggressively tuned PID loop so that we start the
motor with a large current then a millisecond later before it has moved 2
degrees we reduce the current.    But a PID loop controller would have cost
as much as a small car back then.

I'd say this thing was a vibrator with a DC component and not PWM control.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California