----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Prior MD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> The problem I see with this is that I frequently do weighted metering
> and with my 10s it is just under my right thumb, very easy to access
> while my other hand is focusing or zooming,  or just steadying the
> lens.
>
> With the 7 (is the eos3 the same??) I have to move my left hand to the
> back of the camera (maybe even look - the button is fairly recessed as
> I recall) and then access a second control on the other hand.  This
> would for me impair my shooting as I would lose concentration on what
> I was framing.  If you are shooting a still, etc, would be no big
> deal, but most of my shooting is people, esp. kids, and its hard
> enough just keeping them in the frame and focused.
>
> Maybe I'm using the feature improperly, but I use it a lot when I've
> got strong backlighting that I think will screw up the camera's
> metering of the focus of the picture.  I probably shoot 25% of my pics
> with the 10s' spot metering so this is a big usability thing for me.
>

> --
> Paul Prior MD

    I've already posted some of my impressions about the new EOS 7, and I
think alot of new 7 owners are going to hate what I say here, but here are
my thoughts on the new camera. I've also got the 10, and I really like it's
size and weight. I wonder why they made the 7 so small, it's not like it's
going to fit in a pocket or anything. Frankly, I feel that I wouldn't be
able to hold it steady or firmly enough to be comfortable with it. When I
first got my 10 I was a bit mystified by all the buttons and controls on it.
I read and reread the manual and got to know all the features after a time
with it. I feel very comfortable with it now. Each button seems well placed
and necessary.
    Now with a large quick control dial on the back, I'd have thought the
number of little switches and buttons could be shrunk down, but no, they've
got about twice as many now as on my 10. All for basically the same
function. Oh sure there's a couple new ones my 10 doesn't have like DOF
preview, but it still takes photos which is the same function as my 10. As
far as quick auto focus goes, the 7 with 28-105 lens attached that I tested
seemed slower than my 10. That is to say, with a USM lens attached, my 10
autofocuses almost instantaneously. The 7 seemed to have a time lag to it.
Eye controlled focus - didn't work for me, but I don't need it. In fact, I
almost always focus manually, or at least touch up the focus.
    I'm sure as many of you 7 owners have found, that you can learn all
those buttons and dials, and get used to them in time. However a few things
worry me. First of all is the mechanical breakdown aspect of so many more
mechanical parts which also necessitate breaks in the body shell, wiring,
and electonics in more places. In short, more things to screw up. The other
things that worry me is in a photo situation, I don't want to be thinking or
fumbling with anything, I just want to shoot. However, my biggest gripe with
the 7 is still the puny size and poor grip of it. I don't consider adding a
grip or booster to be a solution, I don't use those things, makes camera
harder to get in and out of my bag, and cost more.
    When I add on the poor low light focus assist and high price, (I think I
forgot a couple other things that I don't like :-) my 10 looks real good.
More exposure zones and focus spots? - I've got no complaints about
exposure, and/or focus with the 10, none whatsoever. E-TTL? - no thanks,
preflash means blinking eys and subjects thinking I took a shot. TTL is
working just dandy for me.
    I consider the EOS 10 to be a professional level camera, and the 7/30
and Elan II/50 to be amateur cameras. Amateurs love gizmos, switches and
dials, pros like bodies simple, clean and functional. I'm actually leaning
towards a used EOS 1N as my ultimate camera body at this time, since even
the 1V and 3 seem too well adorned with switches and dials to suit me.
That's just how I see it...

Jim Davis
Website: http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/
"Every footstep must be true." - Bruce Cockburn