>> Don wrote:
>> I have noticed that a lot of my flash pictures have people with closed
>> eyes which I assume is caused by the pre flash. 550ex on a ElanII. I
>> have not tried using the flash in TTL mode.

> Jim Davis wrote:
> AHA, now we're getting to the truth :-)
> Eyelid blink is a response to a flash, and they can close pretty quick.

Hi Don & Jim,

There were a few threads in news:rec.photo.equipment.35mm about blinking
eyes with E-TTL.

The cause of the BEETTL (blinking eye E-TTL) syndrome seemed to a
combination of 2nd curtain sync and slow shutter (e.g. 1/8 second).

One cure for BEETTL syndrome would be to convert the flash to TTL only.
Several List members have suggested insulating certain pins on the hotshoe
to make an EX flash work as a TTL-only unit.

Has anyone sucessfully got their 380EX or 420EX to work in TTL only mode
on a Type A body?

Cheers
Julian Loke