"Let an ultraintelligent machine be defined as a machine that can far
surpass all the intellectual activities of any man however clever. Since
the design of machines is one of these intellectual activities, an
ultraintelligent machine could design even better machines; there would
then unquestionably be an 'intelligence explosion,' and the intelligence of
man would be left far behind... Thus the first ultraintelligent machine is
the last invention that man need ever make, provided that the machine is
docile enough to tell us how to keep it under control. It is curious that
this point is made so seldom outside of science fiction. It is sometimes
worthwhile to take science fiction seriously."
-- I.J. Good