On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 10:20:06AM -0400, John Clark wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 10:04 PM Tomasz Rola <rto...@ceti.pl> wrote:

[...]
> > * I mean, star is projecting this whole energy outwards, so the idea of
> > sucking it up and keepeing it inwards sounds fishy and possibly hints of
> > some mental condition. But okay, it is their energy and their star, and if
> > they want to cook themselves hard then why not.*
> >

> Huh? The radiant electromagnetic energy output of a star with a Dyson
> Sphere around it would be exactly the same as it was before the Dyson
> Sphere was built, the only difference is the energy would have been put to
> work and thus the low entropy visible and ultraviolet photons would have
> been converted to high entropy infrared photons that contain a equal amount
> of energy.

This is how theory describes it. In real life, I think this will be
engineering project and I expect lots of unwanted heat ending up on
the "wrong side of the wall".

> But as I have said no such object has ever been observed and if
> they existed they should have been.

Perhaps only insane aliens do such things - see below.

> > * > But it could also be used to enable some deranged gizmo project,
> > mega-zeta-interstellar-laser or speeding up subrelativistic torpedos,*
>

> Why in hell would they want to destroy a brain on another star?!

The total luminosity of Sun is estimated as 3.828*10^26 watts. If we
divide it among ten billion people, this gives ca. 4*10^16 watts, or
40000 terawatts per head, or ca. 4000 times whole Earth energy
production for every and each single human. This is pornographic level
of consumption. In my worldview, those who want such things are
already a bit insane. The longer they bathe in the excess, the more
unpredictable they become.

> As I said the only thing a Dyson Sphere building civilization would
> still value would be novelty, and 2 such advanced civilizations that
> evolved independently would be novel indeed. I think both would be
> delighted to find each other and communicate, the delay time would
> be large but so would be the bandwidth.  But what could a Type2
> civilization do to increase novelty if it was already using the
> energy output of its star to the limit of its capacity and could
> detect no other Type2 such as itself?

Novelty seeking, you say. I can imagine it as you, Nero and Caligula
discussing the next novelty to be tried. No offence meant. Perhaps you
would have been the saner of the trio, or perhaps not.

So! We do not see signs of insane aliens rising up to the level when
their traces would show off from the background. This is very positive
fact. It means the Universe is not so much screwed up as I sometimes
think (during bad days).

[...]
> > * > So, you are right, in a way - he who is Type3 has little to be afraid
> > of (but I would proposition he starts paranoia about his closest circle,
> > because this is the lesson from history).*
> >

> Once we enter the age of Nanotechnology the lessons from history will be of
> little value, that's why it's called a Singularity.

Well, nanogrifters will welcome the future when people refuse to learn
from the past. They will call it Singularity and while the public
looks at the prelegent, his helping assistants seek for the thickest
purses, whose owners would be the most prospective candidates for
advanced teachings and inner circles of Nanotechnological Guru of Love
for the Advancement of Global Good and we do not need money
anymore. Or clothes.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola