On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 2:05 PM Jesse Mazer <laserma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 9:34 AM Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 7:09 AM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> As I see this thread, Terren and Stathis are both talking past each
>>> other. Please either of you correct me if i am wrong, but in an effort to
>>> clarify and perhaps resolve this situation:
>>>
>>> I believe Stathis is saying the functional substitution having the same
>>> fine-grained causal organization *would* have the same phenomenology, the
>>> same experience, and the same qualia as the brain with the same
>>> fine-grained causal organization.
>>>
>>> Therefore, there is no disagreement between your positions with regards
>>> to symbols groundings, mappings, etc.
>>>
>>> When you both discuss the problem of symbology, or bits, etc. I believe
>>> this is partly responsible for why you are both talking past each other,
>>> because there are many levels involved in brains (and computational
>>> systems). I believe you were discussing completely different levels in the
>>> hierarchical organization.
>>>
>>> There are high-level parts of minds, such as ideas, thoughts, feelings,
>>> quale, etc. and there are low-level, be they neurons, neurotransmitters,
>>> atoms, quantum fields, and laws of physics as in human brains, or circuits,
>>> logic gates, bits, and instructions as in computers.
>>>
>>> I think when Terren mentions a "symbol for the smell of grandmother's
>>> kitchen" (GMK) the trouble is we are crossing a myriad of levels. The quale
>>> or idea or memory of the smell of GMK is a very high-level feature of a
>>> mind. When Terren asks for or discusses a symbol for it, a complete
>>> answer/description for it can only be supplied in terms of a vast amount of
>>> information concerning low level structures, be they patterns of neuron
>>> firings, or patterns of bits being processed. When we consider things down
>>> at this low level, however, we lose all context for what the meaning, idea,
>>> and quale are or where or how they come in. We cannot see or find the idea
>>> of GMK in any neuron, no more than we can see or find it in any neuron.
>>>
>>> Of course then it should seem deeply mysterious, if not impossible, how
>>> we get "it" (GMK or otherwise) from "bit", but to me, this is no greater a
>>> leap from how we get "it" from a bunch of cells squirting ions back and
>>> forth. Trying to understand a smartphone by looking at the flows of
>>> electrons is a similar kind of problem, it would seem just as difficult or
>>> impossible to explain and understand the high-level features and complexity
>>> out of the low-level simplicity.
>>>
>>> This is why it's crucial to bear in mind and explicitly discuss the
>>> level one is operation on when one discusses symbols, substrates, or quale.
>>> In summary, I think a chief reason you have been talking past each other is
>>> because you are each operating on different assumed levels.
>>>
>>> Please correct me if you believe I am mistaken and know I only offer my
> [...]

No, I wouldn't deny that possibility. As I mentioned in the reply I just
made to Jason, I'm coming from an idealist perspective, which is to say
that reality is fundamentally consciousness. So the simulation you're
hypothesizing would itself be a manifestation of consciousness - though
admittedly that's not a super helpful thing to say. At least, it's no more
helpful than panpsychist assumptions that all matter has some aspect of
consciousness. It doesn't tell you why this chunk of matter that looks like
a rock doesn't appear at all to be conscious, and why this chunk of matter
that looks like a Jesse Mazer is. Or why Jesse Mazer's left kneecap doesn't
seem to have its own consciousness - or if it does, how it interacts with
the holisitic Jesse Mazer consciousness. Idealism isn't a theory of
consciousness in the sense that it explains those differences. My current
take on it is just that it's the only way to make sense of reality if you
don't believe in religious dualism, and you acknowledge that the Hard
Problem is a fatal flaw for physicalism and you're willing to update your
beliefs based on that.  But I reserve the right to change my mind on that.

Terren