Cognitive inhibition is the ability to control inner and outer distracting
stimuli, thereby making sure that working memory is not cluttered with
irrelevant information or content. Cognitive inhibition is believed to strongly
influence, helping to control both sexual and aggressive urges within human
society. Do you really want us to take these gloves off?

 Scepticism is generally any questioning attitude towards assumed knowledge,
facts, or opinions and beliefs stated as facts, or doubt regarding claims that
are taken for granted elsewhere. Scepticism allows one to dig deeper into a
subject or situation, to reverify facts or to discover conclusions that may be
in error.

 Most scientists, being sceptics, test the reliability of certain kinds of
claims by subjecting them to a systematic investigation using some form of the
scientific method. As a result, a number of claims are considered
'pseudoscience' if they are found to improperly apply or ignore the fundamental
aspects of the scientific method. Scientific scepticism may discard beliefs
pertaining to things outside perceivable observation and thus outside the realm
of systematic, empirical falsifiability and testability.

 In other words, to be a scientist, whatever you are investigating, the normal
course is to at first assume that, whatever your hypothesis is, that it is
wrong, that the null hypothesis - that the effect one is investigating does not
really exist is true. If you are entranced that the non-null hypothesis is
true, you have a cognitive bias that may adversely affect your investigation,
cause you to overlook critical tests that could disprove your thesis. You are
basically too gullible and trusting to evaluate scientific work. A good
scientific theory goes through a crucible of scepticism before it is considered
respectable.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <dhamiltony2k5@...> wrote:

 Dear Dear Anartaxius,
 Somehow we must deal with this “Cognitive Inhibition” problem which so
evidently is at the root of so much skepticism around some certain things so
good that it obstructs a positive consensus about our history and where we
could together go.
 I do not wish to force my thoughts upon you or anyone else, but I feel forced
myself. Little as I know of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, I would fain do my part to
correct the tone and the statements of the newspapers and newsgroups, and of
our FFL people here generally, respecting his character and actions. It costs
us nothing to be just. We can at least express our sympathy with, and
admiration of, him and his companions, and that is what I now propose to do.
 Sincerely,
  -Buck in the Dome