Comments below...

Because the thing is, humans, at a fundamental level, cannot prefer or value
more highly, what they even unconsciously hold as detrimental.

Nonsense. People do this all the time, continue behaviors that they consciously
*know* are detrimental to them. Their position within an imaginary hierarchy
has no relationship to whether they continue those behaviors or not.

People can be very good at rationalizing behaviors they enjoy but know are
detrimental. (Has nothing to do with the person's "position within an imaginary
hierarchy.")

My guess is that having preferences or hierarchies is hard wired into us for
survival value.

I disagree. I see nothing wrong with preference or believing in hierarchies,
but I definitely don't see them as the same thing. Despite your attempt at what
you thought was a clever remark earlier, having a preference does NOT imply
believing in a hierarchy.

 It was a perceptive observation, not an "attempt at a clever remark." And
having a preference does imply having a hierarchy of personal values. Many of
these are shared; some aren't.

 Many shared values are consonant with survival and reproduction. Whether
that's because evolution built them into us is another question. And we may
well have values that have nothing to do with "survival of the fittest." So I
don't think it's either/or.