My guess is that having preferences or hierarchies is hard wired into us for
survival value.

I disagree. I see nothing wrong with preference or believing in hierarchies,
but I definitely don't see them as the same thing. Despite your attempt at what
you thought was a clever remark earlier, having a preference does NOT imply
believing in a hierarchy.

 It was a perceptive observation, not an "attempt at a clever remark." And
having a preference does imply having a hierarchy of personal values.

I disagree. Assuming you already like both flavors equally, you are offered
either vanilla or chocolate ice cream. Does your choice at that meal imply that
you feel the one you chose was "higher" or "more valuable," of just that you
had a preference for one of them that day?

Rhetorical question. No need to reply. I was just amused that neither you nor
Share can conceive of having a preference without the presence of some kind of
hierarchy. I would suggest that this is pretty limited thinking. But if it
makes you unhappy, stick with it.  :-)