Or they take in a small feral in order to keep her from being eaten by hawks then the person get older/go on meds/become more fragile etc. and runs out of viable options. There are so many variables. On Mar 25, 2011, at 9:59 PM, <dlg...@windstream.net> <dlg...@windstream.net > wrote:

Many older people are on coumidin and that really makes it bad for them to get scratched. Some cats get carried away with their play so you just need to not overstimulate them. You play hard and they will too. And then there are some that don't play much at all. They just want to be petted or sit on your lap all day. Maybe older people should learn as much as possible about their future pets and only adopt "gentle" ones. We just have to use common sense when dealing with any animal. If they growl or flip their tail back and forth or lay back their ears, that is a sign that they have had enough. Then back off and let them be.
---- Lorrie <felineres...@kvinet.com> wrote:
On 03-23, Natalie wrote:

I don't understand why an old person can't have a cat with claws.
Dealing mostly with feral cats, I have never been bitten or
scratched - what's the danger, I am 70 yrs old.  And as I said,
bites are a natural defense for declawed cats!

I'm 78 and when you're old your skin is very fragile and thin
and you bleed easily........... That said - I would NEVER NEVER
declaw a cat.  We have 15 rescued cats at home and sure we get
scratched when they play or knead us, but so what!  Put some
iodine on the scratches.

Lorrie