It wouldn't be you going without the cat, it would be the cat going without
you.  I have seen cats given up by their owners grieve and mourn themselves
TO DEATH.  I've seen cats given away by their owners be fine.  I've seen
cats who have been declawed suffer.  I have seen cats who have been declawed
do absolutely fine.  It isn't all as easy as it looks sometimes.

I have not had a cat declawed but I did have one who had to have a
mastectomy and who I am sure would have been in horrible pain had it not
been for the oral pain meds the vet prescribed.  I would hope any vet doing
declaw surgery would provide pain meds.

At any rate I'm 44 so hopefully it would be a while before I  went into a
nursing home.

http://www.rescuties.org