OMG - you are responding to a post from March..I thought that I was going
crazy and somehow missed a whole thread of talking about declawing, NOW!

There are also some apartments that allow cats ONLY if they are declawed.I
guess they prefer taking their chances of those cats peeing everywhere
instead of possibly scratching something, and it would most likely be the
tenants' own furniture!

I would rather give my cat away than declaw it - especially when it's an
older cat - it's so much harder on them (not that it isn't on young(er)
cats).

There needs to be a lot of education on declawing and what the
psychological/emotional and physical effects can take be.  We have had a few
abandoned declawed cats, and I have witnessed almost all of them...but all
the damage had already been done, and what was I to do - throw them out or
kill them?  I found some homes that understood the ramifications and dealt
with the problems as well as they could.