Hi Shelley - I'm not sure as to when they were exposed. These were cats rescued
from different places at different times. One, a male who I have had not for
about 6 to 7 years, was rescued when he was not neutered, around age 2, street
cat, but tame. Since I was going to get him adopted after neutering, I had him
tested before I took him into my own house. He tested negative for FIV but
positive for FeLv. I tested again at another vet. Still positive, but that vet
suggested that I keep him for two months and then re-test. This guy was on top
of the latest literature in vet medicine. So I did so, took Moses (cats name)
back and he had turned negative. Not to say that I did not believe the test but
too, Moses for yet another test and he was again negative. He's still with me.

Bunny (Buns for short) is a female, abandoned at an apartment complex
(notorious for abandoned, feral and stray cats). She was less than a year old
when she was brought to me on Easter Morning. Thus her name, Bunny. I put her
in a separate room, then took to vet to be tested. She tested positive for
FeLv. Kept her isolated, did not spay, re-tested in about 3 months, she tested
negative. Tested again to be sure. Negative again so got her spayed.

However, my luck did not hold very well. Recently had a rescued kitten brought
to me. I took Taffy to a local Humane Society in Bulverde Texas. They tested
her prior to putting her up for adoption. When they tested her, she tested
positive for FeLv. I took her back, found her a foster home with a wonderful
foster mom, who kept her isolated for 3 months but Taffy still tested positive
at the end of the isolation period. Fortunately, Foster mom loves her and
although Taffy doesn't mix in to the community of 7 cats that Foster Mom has,
Taffy lives with Foster Mom's dog in a spare bedroom and gets to socialize with
the cats except during feeding time. Taffy is perfectly happy with the
arrangement. So is the dog.

The adults probably contracted FeLv during mating behavior. I suspect that
Taffy got it from her birth mother but was not able to fight off the virus as a
kitten because she did not have very good care and ended up as a little street
stray.