I agree with Lee completely. It angers me that someone can get through Vet school and still not be knowledgable about this disease. I rescued a male cat, two years old, and only then learned he was FelV+ after he was neutered. He has thrown off the virus twice. He is over 6 now. mingels with my other rescues and no one has gotten sick. Killing kittens becasue they carry the virus (or some test says they ahve it) is irresponsible.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Lee Evans wrote:

I have had a lot of success with adult cats who threw off the virus in about 2 months and tested negative from then on. For kittens, they may or may not have been actually positive. Since their immune system is not fully developed, they might not throw off the virus as soon as adults. Too bad about the idiot vet who gave the adopters such ridiculously incorrect advice. Keep the kittens for another 4 weeks, then re-test. You really should find them a home with a person who understands that a positive test does not mean the kitten should be killed. If they are still looking and feeling well, let them live. A home with no other cats or with cat-friendly dog is the best for this type of kitten.

________________________________
From: Betheny Laubenthal <bailleyspetc...@gmail.com>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 7:04 PM
Subject: [Felvtalk] Question about FeLV/FIV testing

What's the earliest that testing using a SNAP test for FeLV/FIV can be done so that it is accurate?  I know that if it is done early on, it can be inaccurate. The reason I asked is that we adopted out a 10 week old kitten July 16.  We did not test.  I don't like testing before 16 weeks.  We pulled the kitten and her sister from another state.  Mom was in a high kill shelter.  She was PTS before we could rescue her.  The rest of the litter was PTS.  Miles and Journey were the only ones left. Today, the kitten (Miles) tested positive for leukemia and was PTS (the ill informed vet used scare tactics on the owner and made the owner think that her dogs could get it).  I was called after the fact. What is proper testing protocol?  Vaccination protcol?  I use a 4 way with feline leukemia, killed virus.
--Beth