Grace writes:

<<about the virtues of Navajo plying over regular
three-ply?>>

Advantages as I see them:

Can ply with just one bobbin or ball of yarn ready.
Closely related, lets you do a 3-ply from a
relatively small amount of fiber.
Don't have to worry about having bits of singles
left on two bobbins.
Can play with color, if the singles are multi-colored.
Fun to chain-ply, once you get the hang of it.

Disadvantages:

In the beginning, it's very easy to overply until
your hands and feet get thoroughly coordinated
(helps to put your drive band on a *larger* whorl
for a slower flyer, rather than a faster whorl as
usual for plying, until you're really comfortable).
If the yarn is true-worsted, you'll potentially be
slicking fibers up and out of the twist, making
the yarn a little less smooth and shiny.
The little bumps where the yarn reverses direction
add texture (yes, can be either a pro or a con,
depending on how much texture you want).
Tension may be a little uneven until you get the
hang of things - but then, so can traditional
three-ply.

In your particular situation, the only real
advantage to chain-plying is to get knitting
before you're finished spinning and plying :)  And
practicing a new skill probably counts, too.

I love chocolate-colored fibers!  I have some very
nice moorit Shetland roving from the one year we
had wool good enough to send to Stonehedge for
carding.  I think there's only 9 or 10 ounces.  I
need to think of a really good project for it...

Holly