Jane, when I do granny squares, I don't sew them
together (though a whip stitch matching stitch for
stitch is pretty fast), I crochet them.  I use
either slip stitch or single crochet while holding
the two squares right sides together.  When I get
the first two of the row done, then I do the next
two without breaking off the yarn - like chain
piecing quilt squares, if you're familiar with
that process.

Eventually I have all the rows crocheted together,
then I crochet along the columns, criss-crossing
the previous "seams" whatever way seems to work
best for that particular project.

Hope that makes it seem less daunting to tackle :)
  I admit to loving granny squares and I'm glad
they're back in fashion, at least for a little while!

Holly