----- Original Message -----

> Haven't you missed Richard's point?
>
> The point was automatic interpretation of those expressions, so that the
> strings switch to Pizzicato and back to Arco, just because the
> expressions are there.

Much as I have to coment on regarding MIDI in Finale, I like the fact that I
*can* assign a patch change to a pizz. indication if I so please, but that I
have several other options available to me as well, such as switching
channels, tranposition, etc.  One only has to set up the MIDI meaning once,
then it is effectively automatic, so what you have just mentioned is
perfectly possible.  Again, what I like is that Finale doesn't just assume
things.

Colin.

Tech Support: "I need you to boot the computer."
Customer: (THUMP! Pause.) "No, that didn't help."
Colin Broom, composer
e-mail: colin.broom@Cb7#9strath.ac.uk
(To reply, omit the Cb7#9 chord from the e-mail address)

Invention Ensemble:  www.inventionensemble.com