At 09:41 AM 7/10/02 -0400, David W. Fenton wrote:
>Very well, but it nonetheless requires multiple instances of a single
>expression. The Sibelius method of understanding what arco means after a
>pizzicato and automatically switching to the appropriate patch seems so
>obviously superior that I can't quite comprehend how people could argue
>against such ease of use.

I'm not sure exactly what Sibelius understands. Does it provide a General
Midi output to string orchestra pizzicato and string orchestra arco? Or
specific to that instrument? How 'smart' is it? Are these default
indications that have hidden contents? Can they be modified? Does it
understand 'con sord' or 'col legno'? Does it know to change the patch for
horn bells in air? Or if it understands 'con sord' for brass, does it get
the different languages, as I often write in English? Will it understand
'mute' vs. 'cup mute'?

In other words, as a default condition, it's probably a good idea for
quick-and-dirty playback. But my output doesn't always use GM -- for
example, I play through Virtual Sampler, and use frequent bank and patch
switches. It would be double work if Finale insisted on inserting all its
own patches and I had to find them all and change everything back to my
preferred set for that piece. It would be nasty if it though the dynamics
of an instrument were different from the actual samples in use.

I'm not sure how many folks here actually work with Midi output in a big
way. Every playable score I create (some are visual/graphic, and can't play
back) is turned into a listenable output, and sometimes a final product
(such as the film score I just wrote). I'd love a smarter Finale Midi for
previewing -- but not too smart, because it can never be smart enough when
it's time to do real work.

Dennis