Richard Walker wrote:

> on 02.7.11 10:25 AM, David H. Bailey at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

>>And this is being touted as "better" than the way Finale does it?  To
>>get back to regular trumpet you can't type-into-score senza sordino?
>>You have to type "arco trumpet" and then remember to hide it before
>>printing?
>>
>>Thanks for enlightening us.
>>
>>And Sibelius users have the nerve to complain that Finale is arcane?!
>>
>>Well hush my puppies!
>>

> Down boy.
>
> You can also define your own expressions that will behave in the same way,
> and Sibelius will "read" them properly too. A hidden "arco" is just a lazy
> means of achieving the same thing when it doesn't matter which particular
> term is used because no one is going to see it. (I have been known to use it
> when switching between staccato and ordinary brass samples, for example),
> and it's an interesting anomaly.
>
> Why the rush to pounce?

You have just said "You can also define your own expressions that will
behave in the same way, and Sibelius will "read" them properly too."
which is exactly how Finale does it, yet you have stated that Sibelius
is much better in this regard?

I'm totally mystified as to how the Sibelius method is easier than
Finale, since to get the same result you have to do the same thing.

This whole thread began because the point was made that Sibelius was
superior to Finale in this regard.  Yet when we get down to the
nitty-gritty we find that the two solve the same proble in exactly the
same manner.  Please enlighten me as to how Sibelius is better in this
regard?

As to typing into the score, I don't see how that is superior, either.

With Finale, after I have defined the expression (just as you have
described that I would have to define it in Sibelius as well, levelling
the comparison between the two in that regard), I can place the
expression "senza sordino" with two mouse clicks and one key press:

Click on tool.
Press metatool key.
Click in score and drag to desired location.

With Sibelius I would have to make 13 keypresses while typing it into
the score, after I have already defined it.  No mention has been made
about how easy it is to move that typed-into-score expression, once it
has been entered.  Can it easily be dragged as Finale expressions can?

I'm not pouncing, I am totally amazed that people think that is easier!

With Finale, once I get my expressions all defined as I like them, I can
export them as a library to import into every document I want, or to
import into my default document so I never have to define them again if
I don't want to -- does Sibelius work that way?

--
David H. Bailey