Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> Just be careful with those characters. Some applications crash when trying
> to open files other than alphanumeric characters; it's a common bug in
> applications whose heritage dates from 8.3 filenames.

Thanks for the tip, but I my use of long filenames is almost entirely for
folders, so I don't anticipate a problem.

> You can reset the desktop any way you like. Right-click on the desktop and
> uncheck "Arrange Icons | Auto Arrange"

Ah!  Thanks so much, this makes me very happy.  I'm relatively new to
Windows, so I haven't yet discovered all the tricks.

Is there a way I can remove the "My Computer" and "Neighborhood Network"
icons from the Desktop.  I figured out how to get rid of "My Documents",
even though I could trash it directly, but the same trick isn't working for
these other two.

mdl