Alexander:

> That leads me to think that Fink's xfig install is probably setting
> things up properly, and that the extra 'Fig' file that Brian
> suggested might be the problem.  A likely place would be in
> /usr/X11/share/X11/app-defaults.

I have that directory but there is no Fig file there.

> Also, what do you get from
> "printenv XAPPLRESDIR"?  I have /sw/etc/app-defaults/

% printenv XAPPLRESDIR
%

I have /sw/etc/app-defaults/.  It contains a Fig file
with the line:
Fig.version:                    3.2.5b

That's weird since

% which xfig
/sw/bin/xfig

> If there's no extra 'Fig' lying around, then compare what you have with:
>
> $ ls -l /sw/etc/app-defaults/Fig
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  admin  22724 Jan 15 14:40 /sw/etc/app-defaults/Fig
> $ file /sw/etc/app-defaults/Fig
> /sw/etc/app-defaults/Fig: ASCII text

As far as I know I don't have an extre Fig.

> If something's amiss your 'Fig' might be rotten.  In that case try
> "fink reinstall xfig".

% fink reinstall xfig
Password:
Information about 8929 packages read in 1 seconds.
The following package will be reinstalled:
 xfig
Reading buildlock packages...
/sw/bin/dpkg-lockwait -i
/sw/fink/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-x86_64/graphics/xfig_3.2.5b-3_darwin-x86_64.deb
(Reading database ... 31809 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace xfig 3.2.5b-3 (using .../xfig_3.2.5b-3_darwin-x86_64.deb)
Unpacking replacement xfig ...
Setting up xfig (3.2.5b-3) ...

Still get the message.

> Then, if that fails, try "fink rebuild xfig".

% fink rebuild xfig
Information about 8929 packages read in 1 seconds.
The following package will be rebuilt:
 xfig
Setting runtime build-lock...
Unpacking replacement xfig ...
Setting up xfig (3.2.5b-3) ...

Updating the list of locally available binary packages.
Scanning dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-x86_64
Changed package:
dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-x86_64/graphics/xfig_3.2.5b-3_darwin-x86_64.deb
%

I still get the message ...

Obviously fig doesn't know where to look but the file is in a sensible
place.  I thin that it needs to be told the right thing at compile
time.

> In any case, we should update to the new version.

COOL!!!!

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  Senior Investigator
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  schne...@mail.nih.gov
  http://schneider.ncifcrf.gov/ (current link)