I know there has been some discussion on this list on how to make Apple's X11 distribution coexist
with Fink XFree86 X11. But it is somewhat confusing. I found in the archives a message from James Gibbs that decribes a proceedure where one installs Apple X11, moves it out of /usr/X11r6, then installs xfree86 then moves back Apples x11.

I must say I don't understand what is going on or how they interact well enough to have confidence that I can apply the approach in general or tell if I have done something wrong.

Would someone care to elaborate a little bit on how the two are supposed to coexist. Will the docs for XFree86 get updated to reflect this new alternative?

Thanks,

Sam