Here's what actually is going on:

Apple's X11 has some files that aren't found in standard XFree86, such
as the window manager.  The convoluted process serves to extract just
those files, so that they can be placed on top of a standard XFree86
installation (not replacing anything that's there).

Basically, you can run standard XFree86 in rootless or fullscreen mode
by using XDarwin.app or startx, as usual, or you can run X11.app
(rootless only).

Why would anyone want to this?
1)  Apple's X11 is rootless only, so this gives the option to run
fullscreen.
2)  quartz-wm (the Apple window manager) is fast even if cobbled into a
standard XFree86 installation, and there are other nice features, too.
3)  If you build packages from source against xfree86-threaded, they
frequently don't work with Apple X11, and some packages require threaded
X.  This way you can have threaded X with the benefits of Apple X11.

I'm working on the X11 docs right now, but I personally don't think this
alternative is sufficiently robust to be made an officially recommended
option.  If a fink package that automated this was released, then that's
different.

As an aside, one thing that I found out is that James G's instructions
were appropriate for Beta0.1, but more files needed to be moved for
Beta0.2 .  If you're interested I'll elaborate.

On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 13:44, Samuel M.Smith wrote:
> I know there has been some discussion on this list on how to make
> Apple's X11 distribution coexist
> with Fink XFree86 X11. But it is somewhat confusing. I found in the
> archives a message from James Gibbs that decribes a proceedure where
> one installs Apple X11, moves it out of /usr/X11r6, then installs
> xfree86 then moves back Apples x11.
>
> I must say I don't understand what is going on or how they interact
> well enough to have confidence that I can apply the approach in general
> or tell if I have done something wrong.
>
> Would someone care to elaborate a little bit on how the two are
> supposed to coexist. Will the docs for XFree86 get updated to reflect
> this new alternative?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam

Alexander K. Hansen
Associate Research Scientist, Columbia University
visiting MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center
Levitated Dipole Experiment
175 Albany Street, NW17-219
Cambridge, MA  02139-4213