Hi Mark,

> I've been using the Firebird Language Reference for a while now, and I
> have some annoyances with its searchability.

8<

> In general I think the searchability of the documentation would be
> greatly improved if the TOC was three levels deep, and/or if the
> sections were reorganized. It would also be helpful if chapters and
> important sections start with a TOC of that section, and where already
> present, a TOC with more levels might be helpful.

I will look into the TOC issue this week. IIRC (it's been a while since
I did any extensive work on the transformation stylesheets) TOCs are
relatively easy to add and configure.

I also agree that some restructuring might be in order. But that will
take more time and we should be well prepared before we do this.
Personally I think finishing the LR proofreading has a higher priority.

> Sometimes I can only get quickly to a section by the presence of the
> "List of Tables" in the TOC. But the anchor is not the right anchor for
> the section as a whole, which makes it less suitable for linking.

Frankly, I wonder why all these parameter tables should be formal tables
at all (and thus be present in that mile-long LOT), but at least they
serve a purpose now ;-)

> It would also be helpful if sections themselves have a self-referencing
> link. For an example see http://asciidoctor.org/docs/user-manual/ where
> the mouseover on a section titles, will display a symbol that links to
> the section. This allows for quickly and easily getting the URL to that
> specific section.

It took me a while before I saw this, but yes, I get the dollar sign
linking to the section. Not at all intuitive. Might be better to have
the title itself link to the section. Then again, with enough TOCs in
the right places (where you can also pick up the URLs) we could probably
do without this.

Cheers,
Paul Vinkenoog