> why not to first close connections you're holding and then clean pools. Right?

Right 100%, from my point of view.
If  - at any time during my application is executed - I don't have the
information  about  which connections I have instantiated and which of
them  are probable open, then in any case I'd have a design flaw in my
programming.

Let's assume I don't have this specific flaw, then all I need is *one*
method,  could be static, to mark all open connections, decide whether
to close them or not (maybe some asynchronous operation is at work...)
and then to remove all closed connections from the pool.

best regards,
André Knappstein