There are multiple things to discuss here but first we have to make sure
we are talking about apples and apples.

Paul's enthusiasm is for the Flex 5000.  Frank's problems are not with
that radio. Frank is using the the Janus/Ozzy combo but again, he is not
having a problem with the radio or necessarily the HPSDR toys,  his
issue is with the Janus/Ozzy/PowerSDR SYSTEM attached to his gear.  He
may have 40 years experience in testing but that does not mean we should
take Frank's word that he knows one single solitary thing about
interfacing the AKM5394A's on Janus to an ancient receiver.  I am
certain in my own mind given my interaction with Frank he has done it
perfectly.  But my certainty is not proof.  The scientific method would
be to show me your test apparatus and the ENTIRE interface so I can
analyze the SYSTEM since you are measuring a system.  PowerSDR cannot
contribute to the IP3.  I will make a flat statement of that.  Any
problem you have like that is elsewhere in the system.  I will argue
these latter points more in #2 with clear evidence why and the answer to
his Sherwood question.

1) Frank does not like the bloat in the PowerSDR.  If you can find
anyone in the software team from Eric Wachsmann who does a tremendous
amount of work down to Frank (Brickle not Garcia) who does not want to
touch it with a ten foot pole any more, you are a miracle worker.  IT IS
bloated.  That is why we are slowing down on additions and starting to
sit down and map out how to do the serious job in a serious way.  Frank
Brickle has written a seminal paper for the TAPR/ARRL DCC on FSM.
Remember those letters.  It is truly painful to add new features to the
PowerSDR.  The overlap and "cochannel interference" when you make
changes to the software make it very difficult to maintain.  The design
for the next generation is getting under way now that the 5000 is out.
We began this over two years ago and  everything came to an utter stand
still while we waited on SDR-X to solidify. Then the internal stealth
switch to the 5000 and putting SDR-X on a shelf,  put all work on hold.
  PowerSDR is a clanking clacking collection of cacaphonous calumnies
that is deserving of a colossal collaboration of consenting cognescenti
to capture the cordial consensus that we should blow it up and start over.

2) I will go along with Frank on trusting Rob Sherwood.  I trust Frank
will trust Rob Sherwood again when he finds the Flex 5000 at or near the
top of the heap.  As to your question, the delay in putting it up there
(making me want to pull my three remaining hairs out and then start
pulling them out of chest) is all about Rob having a book in the works
and the results are being used in the book and an agreement not to
publish the results until the book is out.  So based on my knowledge of
the Sherwood results, any problems Frank has with RX performance has
almost nothing to do with the 5000 or the PowerSDR software. Rob
Sherwood's test show it conclusively. Since Francis has said he will
accept this:  Quod Erat Demonstratum.  Frank's performance issues are in
the system he has put together with his RX  because there ARE NO
performance issues or any of the serious AGC issues Rob has raised
lately in a most eloquent fashion in using the PowerSDR with the Flex
5000.  So PowerSDR married to a good system, makes a good system on the
performance tests.

3) I like, admire, etc. Alberto to the maximum possible degree. But
comparing PowerSDR to SoftRadio is not appropriate.  PowerSDR was an
attempt to control a fixed piece of hardware (the SDR-1000) with support
for radios not manufactured by Flex (try getting THAT out of
IcYaKeTecEl) and an attempt to be all things to all people so FLex could
sell radios.  Alberto had the ultimately liberating conditions of having
to satisfy NO ONE BUT HIMSELF.  The comparison is utterly ridiculous.
PowerSDR is an amazing achievement and Eric Wachsmann is a genius.
Saying that, he is his worst critic and his peers are not happy either
with leaving this as it is. Because of this "all things to all people"
and "all on the same screen" is wrong headed.  The GUI should inherit
the personality the user wants and be completely dynamic in so doing.
WHY are we doing a revolutionary radio with a fantastic sdr core and
then making it look like a traditional radio.  If Eric Scace wants to
contest with it,  it should be the ultimate light weight, nearly
invisible thing he needs it to be NEVER taking focus off of his logging
program.  If Walt Dubose wants it to be an EMCOMM, RACES, CAP, digital
interface initiated by ALE, you should not see it AT ALL. It should be a
system service.  If John Basilotto wants to hang out with Julius, Alan,
  Bob Heil, etc. and crank the different audio toys about,  why does he
need all that other useless stuff on the screen for other modes?  It IS
<SOFT>ware after all.  If I take a software sledge hammer to the console
for my purposes,  it is easily fixed.    So, yes, PowerSDR has grown
organically as time has passed and it is beginning to have a muffin top
over its belt.  But it is pretty darn capable.

We are not idiots and we do know how to do things better and I believe
Gerald just might have given us a good vehicle to begin the great
journey along the righteous path towards a truly liberating software
radio SYSTEM of light weight processes, running those you need, showing
what you need, AND NOTHING MORE.  Yet even the vision I am attempting to
paint for you here is too limiting.  Man, I hope we can make the
necessary business case that this is the right way to go. We need to
show that customization built upon a bunch of light weight processes for
control and only as much visible stuff as is needed to do the job makes
this all as incredibly versatile and as malleable as it needs to be.

On the measurement result: Frank, email Rob Sherwood and he will email
you the results.

Last but not least.  I love it when Flex and/or PowerSDR wax
enthusiastic.  I would rather you be happy than sad or angry.  But I
want to take exception to one thing here.  The enthusiasm in this case
resulted in a breach of netiquette.  Frank Garcia's email, included
again below making my own breach of netiquette,  was a private email.  I
would bet money Mssr. Garcia did not give permission for it to be quoted
to the Flex Radio reflector.  I would have gladly answered Frank in
private, copying you.

Bob
N4HY