> They're all "really hard"

Indeed.

I suspect it wouldn't be all that difficult to build a LOUSY contesting
robot... you know, one that slogged up the 20M band in the CQ WW RTTY DX
Contest and attempted to QSO every station running a frequency... and
moving on when successful or after a few unsuccessful tries.  I shudder
to think of the "contest etiquette" such a robot would display.

It might be easier for the robot to run a frequency.

But I suspect building a GOOD contesting robot would be VERY difficult
indeed. There's just so much "feel" and personal judgment involved in
contesting. In timing, choosing bands, choosing the stations to try to
contact, setting the receiver parameters (filers, RF and AF gain, etc).

Hmmmm... I must admit that I kinda like the idea of a robot sitting on a
frequency and trying to run it.  I wonder how many Qs/hr it'd be able to
sustain??

It DOES lead to some interesting questions: Would we have to have it to
periodically and randomly transmit "PSE QSY PSE QSY freq in use"??
Would I still count as the control operator if I'm in the other room
eating lunch and watching the football game??  (just kidding, boys...
don't go nuts on me)

de Peter K1PGV