David Megginson writes:
>  > Anyway, in the back of my head, someday, I want to try to develop a
>  > case against the threaded tile pager and maybe figure out a way to to
>  > partial per frame model loading and unloading ... not that I don't
>  > desparately wish we could do it, it's just that I'm not sure we can do
>  > it reliably in the face of all the things the tile loader will need to
>  > do in the long term ... (?)
>
> What you need to do is isolate the tile manager completely, so that it
> has (almost) no dependencies on the rest of the program, except for
> one structure for data exchange.

I don't think the solution can be that trivially simple.  The render
thread has opengl/scene graph dependencies.  The tile pager has
opengl/scene graph dependencies.  That in itself forces you to do a
*lot* of horsing around.

For instance, you can't directly call a plib model loader in the tile
paging thread because that could involve creating textures (which
would involve opengl calls) and you'd open yourself up for strange
crashes and wierd visual anomalies.

Regards,