D Luff writes:
> Fair enough.  I was under the impression that it was the disk
> access taking the time.

Registering new textures with opengl can take a noticable amount of
time (especially when they are large.)  Freeing memory (and any
associated garbage collection) can actually be a *big* hit at times.
It actually is a very complicated problem to do tile paging properly
in a separate thread.  What we have now mostly works but has grown
pretty ugly in response to some of the practical difficulties with
doing this well.