On Sunday 09 November 2003 21:16, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> John Barrett writes:
> > Would a --no-combat option on the server be acceptable ??
> >
> > (i.e. someone can pull the trigger, but it wont do anything to the
> > multiplayer world -- they could still use you for a target, but you
would
> > never see the ordinance)
>
> That sounds reasonable.  I would add the additional condition that
> people running with --no-combat would not even see people running with
> --combat.  I think we should keep the two worlds completely separate.
> I suppose if the combat people want to see me, that's ok, but I don't
> want to see them.  The idea is that if a few of us are flying around
> the pattern following civilian rules, it doesn't make sense to have a
> bunch of combat planes looping around and making high speed passes on
> us.  That doesn't make sense for the civilian world ... and if we are
> doing what we are supposed to be doing, seeing the combat aircraft
> using as as target practice could be very disruptive.  Ultimately I
> think I would vote for keeping the two worlds entirely separate.
>
> Regards,
>
> Curt.
> --
> Curtis Olson   HumanFIRST Program               FlightGear Project
> Twin Cities    curt 'at' me.umn.edu             curt 'at' flightgear.org
> Minnesota      http://www.flightgear.org/~curt  http://
www.flightgear.org

Wouldn't it be better to have several instances of the server, running
either a non-combat environment or a combat environment, but not trying
to do both at the same time?  Non-combat servers would talk to other
non-combat servers, and like-wise with the combat servers.

I'd be a bit concerned about problems with, for example, the combat
environment affecting the non-combat environment, and visa-versa.

LeeE